The Twilight series: thumbs down. I recently finished the final installment. The first book did make me swoon, so I’ll give you that, but once their relationship settled into complete boredom slash moping around slash hundreds and hundreds of pages of velvet voice and smoldering eyes, it was hard to keep turning pages. Plus, I liked Jacob. I was rooting for Jacob.
Harry Potter movie: thumbs sideways. Good, because HP is a phenomenal series and because Ron Weasley is hilarious. Good, but not great. I kept thinking surely there was more going on in the book. It felt really slow, to the point that when the movie was nearing the end, I whispered to my friend sitting next to me, “It’s the end already?” I felt like it still needed to take off.
Big Fish (the book): thumbs up. Really enjoyed this one. It’s written in a series of uber-short scenes, stories, and tales from his father’s life, all of which revolve around said father’s impending death. His father is a jokester, and one punchline in particular made me laugh out loud. Literally. And it’s harder for books to make us laugh out loud, as we don’t see the looks on faces or hear the tones of voices. So I was delighted.
The Proposal: thumbs way up. Sure, it’s just a chick flick variant, but I much prefer those where they initially hate each other. Sandra is always the funny one in her movies, which is why her surprising show-stealer co-star was refreshing. Not slapstickish or mean, he was just genuinely good at being a no-nonsense sass bucket slash nice guy slash with a hot body.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
4 comments:
I barely made it through Twilight. I don't know if I'm going to even bother with the rest.
And I loved the Proposal, also.
I'm so glad you feel the same way about the Twilight series. In fact, I appreciate how you've summed up why it's so terrible. I've never really been able to vocalize quite why I hated it so much.
HP, I too kind of felt the same. And having re-read that book recently, the movie is so far from being true to the story, I'm still wondering how it can be called by the same name.
I will have to read Big Fish. I've seen parts of the movie, but never knew that it was based on a book (although these days, they're all based on books so I probably should have surmised as much).
And I'm glad you enjoyed The Proposal as well.
Some thoughts:
Twilight: You know how I feel..
HP: I liked it, but only because I think I was able to look past the fact that they left so much out. Hence, Book 7 being divided into 2 films..
Big Fish: I ADORED it! I'm glad you did too. It's been a while since I've read it, I should probably re-introduce myself.
The Proposal: LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Love Sandra, love Ryan. Loved it. It reminded me a bit of Two Weeks Notice, one of my favorite Sandra movies with Hugh Grant (yum), and it was just as funny and entertaining!
Gosh, you make me laugh!
Yet another reason I will not be picking up the twilight books.
Ben and I were dying during HP, kinda entertaining but I did not like it at all.
Big Fish is a fav movie of mine, I have added the book to my list! Which is so short :)
Totally in accord about the proposal.
Post a Comment