Wednesday, October 20, 2010

This one's for Fall

Because I'm in love with it. Fall is the redeeming season for Ohio and just about makes up for the ridiculous humidity and unyielding winters. There are lots of trees with leaves here (as opposed to Oregon's trees, which are for the most part without) and fall becomes this spectacular thing that I can only describe as resembling fireworks. Everywhere. Along the freeway, along the side roads, along the street where I live. I actually missed my own driveway this evening and had to turn around on the next block, so distracted was I in looking at the arc of color around me. And you know you're in trouble when nature itself is a driving hazard. Someone put Allstate and Mr. Mayhem on that. (PS - I have a big crush on Mr. Mayhem)

I'm also in love with my new nephew, which it's just been pointed out to me that I've failed to mention up to this point. But L gave birth to another beautiful boy 2 weeks ago. His name is Adler, and he has HAIR!! I admit I was kind of hoping this baby would be ugly and hairy. Then maybe I could relate to him. E was the prettiest baby ever, and having been a very ugly infant myself, I was looking forward to a bond there. But alas, L's babies are too good-looking. So I have to settle for the hair. Although his looks stylish. Mine looked ridiculous.

I've been thinking about baby A's arrival for months, being the second child myself. Knowing how immediately attached to baby E I was, I wondered how the second baby can be as special. I spoke with my parents at length about this when I was home over the summer, asking them how in the world they could have loved me as much as L. Especially being so ugly. "You just don't think of it that way," Mom said. "They put that baby in your arms, and you love it instantly." And so while I'm admittedly not hanging on every piece of baby news this time, and there will always be the sweet memories of E being the first, it's safe to say the first picture of baby A was really all I needed to fall in love with him too.

I guess some things are just easy to love...no matter how many times they come around. Like fall. And baby nephews. Adler picked a great time to be born.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Also loving the fall in the Willamette Valley. We have had a spectacular October, sunshine & color in abundance. (Rain in the forecast.) On second babies, ask any of my kids and they will tell you that Whitney is my favorite. I don't know why, but they all think so.

AJones said...

. . . because he is (hahaha) . . . . and Tali - you were a beautiful baby . . .

Courtney said...

That is the most amazing baby hair I've ever seen- what a handsome boy!

Bethany said...

You couldn't help but love such a cute little guy. I must admit, I am jealous of all that hair!

Suz said...

He is so cute! Glad you love the second nephew as much as the first. :)