Friday, December 10, 2010

On Reading

I never have time for reading. Although that's not entirely true, is it. Because free time does come around. I just choose to do other things, like play guitar or go watch the Cavs lose a game or work on my current writing project (which is almost complete!). When I moved into this house, I pictured myself reading all the time. Even set up my front room as a 'reading room' of sorts. It's full of books and holds the most expensive piece of furniture I own...a two-part square-shaped reading chair. It's probably not meant to be a reading chair, but when I saw it I imagined curling up with a blanket and a book and watching the snow fall from the big front window. In two and a half years, I think I've done that once.

Because choosing to read means choosing NOT to do something else, it's important that what I read be worth it. Meaning really, really good. And since I'm completely out of the loop on what's out, what's new, and what's hot, left to my own devices I'd be scouring the library shelves for interesting-looking covers. Because everyone knows you absolutely CAN judge a book by its cover. Lucky for me, I've got my good friend K and my sister L. The last several books I've read have come as recommendations from them, and as they both have very high standards for literature (as they should), I can always count on having phenomenal reading material. L and K are both very busy people as well, and it's inspiring to me that they make time for reading anyway.

I most recently read 'Orange is the New Black,' and I absolutely loved it. Memoirs are my favorite thing anyway, and when they're as well-written as they are inspiring, I can't think of anything I'd rather read. Chronicling a woman's experiences in prison, the book is surprisingly positive. Sure, prison sucks, and several things about it were utterly horrifying to read. But the hows, whats, and whens of prison life seemed to take a back seat to the people and the experiences the narrator has with them. To me, this was a story about life, love, and loyalty, and I found it hard to put down. Hard to put down meaning it still took me 2 months to get through. But that's because I never read. See paragraph 1.

Since I commute, I've thought books on tape might be a way to increase my 'reading' time. I have never in my life listened to a book on tape. Not that I can remember anyway. I resist because something about it seems fraudulent. Because you're not actually reading, not actually holding the book in your hands and turning the pages. And I like holding the book in my hands and turning the pages. Can you still 'get into' a book the same way if you're not actually reading it? Still take in the same meanings, reflect on the passages that blow you away, re-read what doesn't make sense? For any of you with experiences in the realm of books on tape (CD, whatever), are you a fan?
.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I'm flattered! (And I've finished a bunch more books. Truth be told, I only churn out books at this rate in the summer (for obvious reasons--p-a-p) and when I'm nursing. I get to read all night long and on the weekends. I hate nursing, so reading SAVES me.)

As for books on tape: I had the same thought when I worked in Salem. I tried it just a few times and found it too dangerous. Yes, you can "get into" the book, but probably that's not such a good thing on the road. I would get to the parking garage and have no idea how I got there. Books on tape are more for when you work nights at the post office typing illegible zip codes from envelopes into a computer, which you will hopefully not ever be doing.

Kat said...

I find that books on tape make me drowsy, and the only books on tape in which I indulge are HP. Jim Dale's voice is incredibly soothing, and it's the perfect remedy to a night of insomnia. Not to say that it's boring, just mind clearing and soothing in all the right ways.

I prefer a book in hand, mostly because I'm an avid note taker. I underline, circle, note, and dog ear most books I read (terribly practice, I know).

Heather said...

I justify books on tape for books that I would probably never read otherwise. Like a book that isn't "worthy" to be read and can be easily understood by just listening. Like Twilight or something.

Carol said...

I also rely on a friend, C, when it comes to recommending good books. (I read a lot of 3-5th grade level books, so when i take the time to read "big people books" i want them to be good. No experience with books on tape, but your comments about wanting to hold the book and turn pages makes me think about everyone getting Kindles, and how I will resist that because I really like actual books. See you this weekend!!