Saturday, January 15, 2011

Resolutions in the Dead of Winter

Winter in Cleveland is such a drag. So is being back at work after a long vacation. So is the current state of the Cavalier franchise (you know it's bad when the only spark of excitement is the possible recruitment of an ugly homeless man). But every day gone means we're one day closer to spring. And the NBA draft lottery.

This weekend I find myself with no plans, which is sort of a welcome change. I've been very productive already. Not only in errands and house-cleaning and such, but I've also been getting things done that have been on my list for a while. I cashed a rebate check from my contact lenses, upgraded one of my savings accounts and will now get double the interest rate, filled out the paperwork to rollover my retirement account from the company I stopped working for over four years ago, activated my new corporate card (we switched from American Express to MasterCard), and ordered bonus checks for two of my 5% cash back credit cards.

I really, really love the cash back credit card. I know it's not a lot, but it does make a difference, and it endears me to the companies who offer them. Even Target has now joined the club. Except they don't make you wait for a rebate check...they just take 5% off of every purchase right there at the register. As if I could heart Target any more than I already do.

Finances are a focus for me in 2011. Budgeting is hard because I'm not super motivated to do it, and I don't believe in going without things you really want (that you can afford) just for the sake of a budget. Like if there's a concert I really, really want to go to but I've already hit my "entertainment" cap for the month, I think I should still go to the concert. If I've spent more on travel than I had planned to but really want to take one more trip out to see my nephews, I think I should still go see my nephews. But I also think that I can try harder when it comes to my finances. I want to be more mindful of what I'm paying for and more aware of what's happening with my money.

Other goals this year include incorporating a more varied workout routine, being on time to work (although so far January has been a bust), never connecting in SFO or ORD ever again, and submitting my manuscript. I feel optimistic about all of these areas, and somehow, even surrounded by snow and a team that's gone down in flames, 2011 could be just the year I've been waiting for.
.

2 comments:

RAJ said...

give me a holler if you need any help with that rollover thing...

and I love my cash back AMEX card...The mini shopping spree every February is something I look forward to

Lyndsey said...

yes, you should visit the nephews as often as you want. budget be damned!