Even with a short week, it's still shaping up to be pretty rough one. And that's not even counting the Oregon game, which after a 48-hour depression fest, I only today am starting to forget. Meaning that there are moments when I'm not thinking about it. But amidst the frustrations at work, the lack of basketball this season, and the Oregon loss, my jewelry studies and book project keep my spirits buoyed these days.
I completed my last assignment in the Colored Stones section of this gemology degree. Once I take the final, I'll officially be 1/3 of the way done! It's taken longer than anticipated, but I'm a busy girl, and it's challenging curriculum. But I'm like a kid in a candy shop when learning about gems, so it's hard to complain.
And on the book front, my ridiculously talented cousin sent me the illustrations she's done for my book. They are so darling I almost can't stand it. And I'm so grateful she was willing to do it, because I basically asked for glorified stick figures, and she's certainly capable of much meatier material. But they turned out so well for the look I'm going for, and I may or may not have spent the majority of last night looking at them and smiling.
I also drug my paranoid little self to meet with a lawyer this morning, because I wanted some assurance that I'm not going to get sued over anything I write. Of course, she can't guarantee no one will sue me, but she could guarantee that if they did, we'd win. I threw scenario after scenario at her, and not once did anything give her cause to so much as pause before telling me that I'm fine. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for free speech. And for the variety of professionals in this world. And for talented cousins. And, as always, for diamonds.
.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
2 comments:
I'm so excited that you're doing this gemology degree! It just feels so perfect for you. You'll have to tell me all about it when I see you!
We all agree that M's illustrations are wonderful. Now I'm really curious about the book. Can't wait to see it all come together!!
Post a Comment