Monday, July 23, 2012

Chaos vs. Contentment

Last week was a bit rough. Because the world has all gone to pot. Terrorists blowing up tourists, crazies shooting up innocent movie-goers, kids being abducted. Sometimes I just can't take it anymore, and I confess that it at times seems hopeless. What's the point of falling in love or having children when the world is completely unsafe and when the people you love can be taken from you at any moment? Not that I'm in favor of avoiding marriage and family for this reason, I'm just saying it stresses me out. And then there's another kind of stress, and that is the stress that surfaces when I become too busy to do the things I'm used to doing. I've written all of 2000 words in the past two months and only completed a few jewelry assignments. Then there's marketing for Schooled, which I haven't been able to do much of either. Life is just busier, particularly in the summer.

And while I was expecting my booked-solid weekend to further add to said stress, I'm happy to report that it had the opposite effect. Take the party I attended on Saturday night. My dear friend K had a birthday over the weekend, and her party was so incredibly delightful. Spending the evening eating delicious food outside on a gorgeous night while in the company of good friends was so enjoyable that it was almost therapeutic. Driving home reflecting on my day, which in addition to K's party had included brunch and a show with M and another couple, I was struck by how unbelievably content I am with my life right now. As I approached my favorite view of the city (at night, when you exit off the 90 and find yourself looking at downtown head-on), the post-Indians game fireworks were going off right in front of me, and I know it's silly, but it felt like the proverbial cherry on top.

Of course, little did I know that the very next day I would end up meeting M's parents for the first time (totally ill-prepared and wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and baseball cap, I might add), but for that one moment, all the stress and discouragement over the state of the world...and also my day planner...went away. And I suppose that's what I love about life. That you can have moments of contentment in the middle of chaos, and that they can be brought on by the simplest of things. Like fireworks. Beautiful backyards. Eggs benedict. Old-fashioned letter presses. And kisses on the cheek.

.

No comments: