Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Past 10 Days

I've been on the road for work, and while business travel isn't very frequent for me (so I shouldn't complain), this trip was a bit rough. It was just a long stretch to be gone at one time, and I find myself worn out and feeling yucky today. Not that it's any wonder, what with getting almost no sleep (I had to go out and buy a box fan for my hotel room), eating out exclusively (Tucanos is SO never a good idea, digestively speaking), and having no time at all to exercise. But rather than make this a venting session, I'd prefer instead to focus on a few bright spots along the way.

First, I recently became a member at a parking facility near the Cleveland airport, and I am not exaggerating when I say it has changed my entire travel experience for the better. I can't believe I didn't do this years ago, especially because people were always recommending it to me. But I always insisted on parking "at the airport." It made me feel, I don't know, safer? Or at least closer. But the thing is, even though I technically park in the airport garage, it's still a good 10-15 minute walk to the main ticketing terminal. With bags in hand. This parking service I now use is not only cheaper than the airport garage (pretty significantly), but they also 1) provide you with a free water, newspaper, and car wash each time you park, 2) have a shuttle follow you in and pick you up directly at your car, and 3) have a shuttle waiting at the airport that drives you back to your exact parking spot. It's amazing. Amazing, I tell you. No lugging bags around, extra perks, and a cheaper price? I am hooked.

Second, while recruiting is not my favorite thing in the world, I do enjoy getting back to the campuses I attended and feeling of the excitement and possibility there. Or maybe I just like having reasons to remember my own experiences. I walked past the dorm in which I used to live and texted one of my former roommates to tell her where I was. And while in Provo, I ran into a business school classmate of mine, who happened to also be in town recruiting, and for about 5 seconds, it was like I never left. I guess it's always surprising to me how easy it is to be transported back to a different time. I hope I never lose that fondness for memory.

And finally, the best part of the trip was that it allowed me to spend a little bit of time with my brothers and sister-in-law. I hadn't seen D in over two years, so seeing him was a special treat, and I'm so proud of him for his missionary service and grateful for his safe return. A few pictures from the trip:





1 comment:

Marie said...

I so enjoy reading your thoughts. You have a lovely/entertaining/unique way of thinking about things. Thanks for letting me stalk. :)