Because I was having some furniture delivered yesterday, I left work early. And while waiting for the furniture to arrive, (because it is a fact that whenever a furniture company gives you a four hour window in which they could arrive, they will show up in the last half of the last hour) I decided to pull weeds. I ended up spending a total of 4 hours on this chore, which I think is a world record. Let it be known that weeding was always the worst thing I could have possibly been asked to do as a child. I hated it. Even when my dad paid me to do it, I stalled, I whined, I just pulled the tops off so it looked like I had got them all. So yesterday's weeding frenzy was strange, mostly because I couldn't stop...didn't WANT to stop until I had finished. Lest you all think I live in an overgrown, white trash, suburbian lot, let me say that my yard is nicely manicured with plants and flowers and virtually no weeds. There's just this one strip of fence that is covered in weeds, weeds in disguise, and weeds in disguise in disguise, which are basically things that look big and real enough that one might actually think they belonged. The effect was supposed to be "if there's enough green stuff in here, it will look nice," but I just thought it looked like crap, so other than the bushes, I completely gutted it.
In the middle of said gutting, I heard a sound coming from the street, which turned out to be the ice cream truck. The ice cream truck! Lordy, lordy, my street has an ice cream truck. Would that I could be home every afternoon to buy a Choco Taco for 75 cents. But the thing I thought most interesting was the ice cream truck's music. It played Fur Elise. Just the first verse. Over and over. Not exactly the kind of music that screams "ok kids, put down your homework and come get a drumstick." Not to mention how tired the driver must get of hearing nothing but the first few bars of Fur Elise. But as I listened to the song, some words came to me. Words? Fur Elise doesn't have words. Oh, but it does. That is, if you happen to remember as I do a McDonald's commercial from the eighties. A girl is nervous for her piano recital, and her parents have promised a McDonald's meal afterward. As she performs Fur Elise, we hear the voice in her head singing along. She's talking about what she's going to have---a chocolate shake, a cheeseburger, and fries. But every time she gets to the "fries" note, she messes up. Hence the "woops." The song ends triumphantly with "Oh boy, my recital is almost done, it wasn't bad, I'm still alive. And now I can have my chocolate shake, my cheeseburger, and also, woops, and also fries." That's right people, it's a good time for the great taste of McDonalds...and Choco Tacos.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
2 comments:
Hey friend I am glad that you are enjoying Cleavland and your job. I love reading your blog it makes me laugh. How did you get the burn on your leg? Did you really stand next to a dutch oven? I liked what you wrote about Scott, I had no idea that was how you started dating. I miss you friend. I am glad that you are doing well.
i forgot that there were words to that song from the Mickeydee's commercial and yes, that one note that is off key, how can you forget that part of it. did the furniture end up coming by?
Post a Comment