Monday, July 14, 2008

Caaat?

I was talking to my sister the other day about all the cats we had growing up, and this reminded me just how hard I'm fighting right now, trying to resist getting a cat. But then I asked myself, why exactly am I fighting? I mean, the two things I was most excited about after finishing grad school were getting my own place and getting a cat. But since getting my own place and trying to gradually get settled in it, I suddenly wonder if a cat makes sense. I would never be home, and leaving the cat behind every day might be more than I can handle. On the other hand, I might end up working for the next 40 years, and I am not willing to sacrifice being an animal owner because of this.

Another thing I was thinking about with regard to our childhood cats, is that they were all outdoor cats. Other than hunting trips out in the fields, they pretty much hung around our front yard and porch. I have never owned an indoor cat. And any cat I get right now would have to be an indoor cat, unless I could figure out a way to train it to wander only as far as my property line. Unlikely. Then why is it that when I look around the neighborhood, I see everyone's cats walking around their own front yards, happily contended (and trained) to stay nearby. How does one train a cat to do this? Especially a new cat who probably wants nothing more than to wander.

I'm sure I will eventually cave and get myself a cat, but it certainly seems more complicated than I always thought it would be.

4 comments:

Cassie Bumcrot said...

Our cats are indoor cats and they seem to be just fine. Even the wild one who grew up in an actual barn. They sleep all day when were gone anyway. They are happy, but we are starting to let them go outside.

Dani said...

Oh all right. I take it back. You can get a cat. I can't help you with logistics, though. Logistics and operations are your forte. Let me know if you have any issues with the cat or if you want to fire it.

tyboo said...

Don't do it Tali! The fellas are not going to be hip on sharing you with a cat. If you must have an animal make it a dog and a fairly good sized one. Just tellin it how it is from the other gender's perspective.

Anonymous said...

hey, where are you in this shot? and why am I not shoe shopping with you? oh well...perhaps one day we'll meet up and at that moment we'll just need to break away from whatever and go by a pair of shoes-even if it is the BYU bookstore. :-) well, miss ya tons and it is so great to see your blog. sorry about your friend and your dutch oven burnt leg. ouch.