Friday, August 29, 2008

Ode to Cornhole

I just have to say a few words about Cornhole. As I explained in my first post, Cornhole is an absolute staple at every gathering here in the midwest. It's also quite popular at my office. (We are even having our annual tournament next week). I, along with three others, play almost every day for the majority of the lunch hour. And I completely look forward to it. I'm by far the weakest link, but I'm getting better, and there's just something about playing that makes me feel....happy.

A couple of things I've learned so far:
1. Take the heels off before playing
2. If you're left handed, stand to the right of the board
3. Also if you're left handed, lead off with your right foot
4. Warm up until you find your groove
5. If it's super humid outside, move the game inside or you will seriously overheat and show up to your 1:00 meeting looking like you just ran a marathon

Even today, on what was the last half-day friday of the summer, when I had planned on leaving at exactly noon to take advantage of every moment, I found myself unable to turn down the invitation to play Cornhole before leaving. I left the office at 1:15, with plenty of afternoon remaining, and a big, midwestern smile on my face. There's just something about this game.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Call me slow, but I'm still trying to figure out what the heck Cornhole is. Haha. We need to catch up. :( I miss my dear friend! I had a similar breakdown about 2 weeks ago. Oy veh, it was not pretty at all, but look at us! We're practically grown ups now!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the game of corn hole! I play almost ever single day and commonly compete in tournaments. I love the write up! BTW, if you like corn hole, check out my blog at http://www.cornholeplayer.net Thanks!