Saturday, November 1, 2008

The squirrels ate my pumpkin

Imagine the horror when I came home from work yesterday and noticed that my pumpkin, formerly expertly carved in the shape of a witch, had been eaten through. They just wanted the leftover guts, so they went for the easiest route...the places that already had holes. Also imagine the horror of the kids who may have passed my front steps and noticed the disturbing sight.

I went for the cowboy pajamas costume for last night's halloween party (boots, hat, and red long underwear complete with butt-flap). Everyone had to vote on the best costume, the funniest costume, and the scariest costume. I voted for myself as having the funniest costume, because, come on, long underwear is funny. It probably goes against the rules to vote for yourself. I wasn't doing it for the plastic trophy; I did it because my costume was the funniest. Of course, when it was announced that I had won by a landslide, all but one vote, I suddenly realized that the one person who hadn't voted for me now knew my selfish secret.

In other news, halloween itself was a beautiful day. Having received our first snow earlier in the week (October 27 will go down in the books as the official beginning of the end), it warmed up enough to give us one last 70 degree day yesterday. I'm confident it's all downhill from here, and I will soon be posting about how much I hate my life. Snow does that to me, so don't say I didn't warn you.

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

It is true that one person knows your secret (shame on you, by the way). Your only hope is that the one dissenting voter also voted for himself. Then, he can't really fault you... although he will always know...

Dani said...

I love your writing. :) It's so pleasurable to read. You must have been an English major.