I am not one who feels depressed about being single. Life is too good, even without a spouse. I am healthy, have a great job, make a lot of money, am part of a fabulous family, and have had the education many people wish for and will never get. But, of course, there are certain things that make me more aware of my singleness. Events, such as my brother's wedding last weekend, which left me comparing my age to his and feeling a bit panicked. Remarks, such as an acquaintance asking why I have chosen a career over family or why I have not found what I'm looking for in the number of decent guys I have dated. And these events and/or remarks can put me in a temporary meltdown status.
Case in point. Last week, thinking about E's impending wedding, I felt surprisingly down about my own life situation. I left my desk, went to sit in my car for a few minutes, phoned a good friend and asked, "What am I doing with my life besides getting older, losing eggs, and slaving for the man?" It was a fair question. Even as I thought about it later, determined to prove that I am, in fact, doing more with my life, the only thing I could think of to add to the list was that I'm working on writing a book. But other than that, seriously, I live for the job. By default.
I will mention here a book I've just finished reading. One of my four blog readers might remember that I was able to be involved with Kristen Oaks' recently published book, A Single Voice. She discusses her 50+ years of being a single LDS woman prior to marrying Dallin H. Oaks. The book, while somewhat repetitive, I consider quite accurate, and I appreciate her honesty about her own experiences and struggles over her many single years. She mentions things like going to church, celebrating holidays, things that can become trying as a single person, especially as an LDS single. (And when you see a "Tali May" listed in the acknowledgements, do not be fooled. It is me. Ironic as it is that my own name would be a typo, I have decided against demanding a reprint).
Bottom line: no LDS girl expects to be single in her late twenties, but those of us who find ourselves in that situation make the best of it. Just keep in mind that we will occasionally break down. Which is why, in case you are the person I call the next time this happens, you should have some reassuring words prepared.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
1 year ago
6 comments:
Mid-twenties.
All you want out of his situation is the married part. You don't also want everything that comes with 19 years old. "No need for jealousy here..." (Nor do you want to be married for being married's sake. That would be 8 million times worse than being single.)
Also, E's age is not a "normal" age to marry; it's simply a "legal" age to marry. Do not be fooled about who's normal.
E is not "still the luckiest guy [you] know who'll talk to [you]."
I know I did get hitched, however, I would be ready and willing with encouraging words any time you are ready for them since I did get married when I was older than you are now! I love you friend!
Oooooh, L says we are in our mid-twenties. Made my day :)
Just wait till E starts having children. Not that I don't love being the single aunt(if J reads this). I still have to get a copy of Kristen's book ;), having talked to people for years about it I am shocked to realize I have not read it yet.
I was just thinking that I am in my early 30s and don't mind being single and then I realized that for the first time in a long time, I am dating a boy who is nice to me. Not that it doesn't have its share of very, very trying points, which I don't blog about. Even then...we're lucky and we'll be fine. We just need to keep good single friends around and we can weather it together. I love you, Talita May.
I just reread this...and it's sooooo funny how differently I feel about it now that Russ and I broke up. Very weird. I had a breakdown yesterday. Sobbed. For hours. During work. Good thing I work from home. I just felt 32 and so very single. Because I am. And today I feel fine...but I'm sure tomorrow I won't. But those are the ups and downs of a break-up. Eventually I'll get back to normal. :)
Post a Comment