Monday, February 9, 2009

Every day is a winding road...unless it isn't.

Friday night found me headed to meet a friend at her house, only I had never been there before, and considering I have a tendency to get lost even when I do know where I'm going, finding new places can sometimes be an adventure, even with my bff, the GPS lady. To make matters worse, my friend lives on one of the local university campuses amidst various dorms and houses and buildings, and Friday nights around campuses are always nutso. I did my best to follow the instructions I had (turn into the parking lot right across from the sign announcing Houses 6&7), but the turn-in didn't look anything like a parking lot. I kept driving. I turned the corner and wandered aimlessly until I found a place to turn around. I then headed back to Houses 6&7 and once again stopped in front of the turn-in directly across the street. Seriously, there was no parking lot in sight. But this had to be the right place, so I pulled in and slowly drove down the winding pathway that would surely lead me to the parking lot.

It didn't. And after several seconds of meandering down the (very narrow) path thinking it sure seemed like I was right in the middle of a college campus, I realized that I was indeed RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A COLLEGE CAMPUS. As in driving down the WALKWAY the students WALK on to get from building to building. This was every bit as horrifying and laughable as it seems. There was no way I could back all the way out of where I had come, and I immediately wondered what I was going to do when I realized there was no way out, or what I was going to say when campus police handed me a fat ticket, or what my friend would be thinking if she were looking out her window and comprehending what I had gotten myself into. Because who does this? Who mistakes walkways on college campuses for roads? Don't answer that. Luckily it eventually spit me out back onto a road. An ACTUAL road. At least I think it was.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

when I read this I seriously started cracking up, because one time when I was in high school (except I was doing running start, so I was at the community college up the road) some friends and I were walking on campus up to the student union building and a car approached us, the window rolled down, and an old man asked us how to get to I-5.

So... yours isn't nearly as bad as that. I can show you a map of where he was on campus and where I-5 is relative to the college. But still. That's too funny!

amberkei said...

Tali, You crack me up! We hope you're doing well...just keep yourself alive!

Kat said...

Oh Friend...I literally am still laughing out loud as I write this. That is too funny.

I hope you found your friend's place!