Thursday, September 9, 2010

On Football

I attended my first Browns game last week. Not really my favorite outing ever, seeing as how I don't care for football. That and it was 90 degrees outside. Even at 8 PM. My problem with football is two-fold. First, it's relatively hard to keep track of where the ball is. It just looks like a bunch of guys running around, ultimately jumping on top of each other in a big heap. And so I lose track of what player has the ball, even what TEAM has the ball. Second, there's so much down time. With the players standing around all the time, I lose focus. And by the time they get themselves together and run the next play, I've missed it. That said, it's still hard to beat the feeling of being surrounded by thousands of people all rooting for the same thing. The same team. The same city. And that's the thing about Cleveland. We love football. (By we I mean everyone else). The fact that we don't win very much doesn't even bother anyone. The Q on the other hand will be completely empty this season.

In the spirit of trying to like football more, I let myself get cajoled into my office's fantasy football league. It's true that doing an NCAA bracket this year increased my interest in that tourney by about 400%. I was hoping this league would do the same thing for me and football. But now that I'm all drafted (auto-pick, thank you very much), it turns out that there's a fair amount of maintenance required. Things like making sure your players aren't injured, bringing in your backups when your first string players have weeks their teams aren't playing, etc. Who in the world has time for that? And what do I have to do, keep schedules of every single team handy? I'm losing for sure. Lucky for me, my co-workers (I'm the only girl in this league) decided the punishment for losing is shaving your legs and wearing a skirt to work. Cake.

(And PS - thanks to all those who gave feedback on The Decision 2010! The decision has yet to be made, but I'll keep you posted.)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've finally let myself admit to myself that I think football is boring, boring, boring. Too much down time. It makes me feel like a sissy girl and a bad American but I just can't fake it anymore.