Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Diversity 101

My boss heads up a recruiting trip to my alma mater twice a year. I've never been invited, a fact that somewhat puzzles me. These same 5 or so guys go every time, and the whole thing has a very gentleman's club appearance to it. Whatever. I can handle being left out. (Clearly.) Well, my boss called me on Friday to ask if I was interested in joining them on next week's trip. He didn't even try to hide it. "I think we need a woman," he said.

Having been on the other side, I can tell you that he's onto something. I was never impressed with a corporate recruiting team consisting of only men. But really? Really? He's asking me to come because I'm a woman? I mean, at least throw me a bone and tell me it's because I'm talented or because I've accomplished a lot over the past few years. Unfortunately for him, I have a work event next week that I can't miss. It was surprising how much of a let down it was to him. He was genuinely kicking himself for not "thinking of this" sooner. And that, ladies and gentleman, is how I managed to secure a spot in the fall recruiting team lineup. It's a good thing they keep a girl me around.

.

3 comments:

Suz said...

If you come out here then you'd better come for a visit...even just an hour!

Heather said...

Man that sucks. You should try the water in my profession. Most my colleagues are women. And its MUCH better (not).

AJones said...

your boss is Michael Scott