Up to this point I've avoided getting a company phone/blackberry like the plague. The whole point of not being at work is to not be at work. Plus, I see so many people who sit at their desks all day AND have a company phone, and it seems like such a waste. Why do they even need them? But with me now working in two different buildings and my schedule for each building changing week to week depending on meetings, priorities, etc, I've been (pardon my French) pissing some people off lately because they never know where I am. Part of me still thinks it's a non-issue. They call me at one building and if I'm not there, they call me at the other. But the better part of me thinks maybe it's time to cave and just get a phone.
In the process of filling out the paperwork, I've learned a few things that have made this decision even more annoying. If I bring my current cell number over, it will essentially become AD property (the number) and could not be taken with me if I ever leave the company. I find this ridiculous because the number was mine first, but it is policy and I can't fight it. The thought of changing my number is overwhelming. Not that it would necessarily be hard to do, but I'd really rather keep the number that's been with me all these years. The other alternative, of course, is to carry two phones. Obviously I wouldn't have to carry both at all times, but two phones? Really? Although I suppose there would be some value in keeping work and personal separate (ie. them not necessarily knowing who I'm texting, etc.).
So, I'm curious. Which one would you do? Get a new number when you leave the company or have a personal cell and a work cell?
.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
8 comments:
I'd have 2 phones. Sure, it's a pain, but then if you ever leave, you get to keep your identity. And it's easier to keep work and home separate.
Definitely 2 phones.
That's a stupid policy. We get to keep our numbers when we leave.
I also opted to consolidate to one phone. I feel okay about this, and find that my work life (at least at this level) doesn't creep into my personal life. It also aids in my working remotely and having a heads up before I go to the office some mornings.
So basically, I don't think I'm any help. You are at a higher level than I am at your job, and you don't get to keep your number. Tough call, friend. Tough call.
So, I think you should get the blackberry...
Pros: Sleek, Quick, we can send picture messages finally, blackberry messenger (free chat-like texting) etc, easy to keep work and home seperate.
Cons: ....You now have two phones instead of one..?
Keep both phones, but only carry one. Get a google voice account to get your personal calls forwarded to your work number. Badda bing, badda boom.
I changed my mind. Stick it to the man - don't get a company phone. I probably wouldn't listen to my advice, though. I work 12 hours a week at a high school in France. I'm going nowhere and QUICK.
I have 2 phones. Pretty much so I can do what I want on my personal phone and just use my work one for work. Then I can "accidentally" leave it at home on the weekends so I'm not available...but that's just me. It can be a pain having 2 but I've always had 2.
Post a Comment