Thursday, May 26, 2011

Police Beat

Have you ever awoken to a strange sound that you couldn't place, yet still knew was an abnormal sound? This happened to me the other night, and the only thing I could think was that my cat was in distress, although the sound, whatever it was, had actually sounded human. I looked at the clock, it was 2 AM, and then I heard it again. A scream. A man's desperate scream. He was screaming a name and trying to beat down the door of the house two down from me. Alarmed, I spied out the window for several minutes until the police showed up. The officer got out and asked if the man had a gun. I couldn't hear the answer, or maybe I was too distracted trying to determine if I was hallucinating, or, at the very least, involved in some sort of Inception-style 4-layer dream which was not actually real. After waiting a minute or two to see if Joseph Gordon-Levitt was going to make an appearance, I went back to sleep...or did I.

This is not the first time this particular house has caused trouble, although the occupants and family always seem to be getting along fine. Kids playing, Mom gardening. Last time the law showed up I did some snooping and found out her ex had come over and caused a bit of a disturbance. At any rate, it was a struggle falling back asleep knowing a man who may or may not have had a gun was on the loose in such close proximity to me.

So imagine my unease upon backing out of my driveway yesterday morning at seeing a team of officers wearing bullet-proof vests circling the outside of the house. Theirs. Not mine. They had just got the front door open as I passed, and fearing I might get caught in the cross fire, I sped away.

These events have left me pondering questions such as, What in the world is going on over there? Where am I living? How do I get in touch with Batman? And does anyone have a bullet-proof vest I can borrow?

.

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I'm impressed you've seen so much law inforcement involvement. They were noticably absent in Atlanta. Completely lawless mayhem down there.

Kat said...

How DO you get in touch with Batman?