This week has had a strange, discombobulated feel to it, starting with the Dallas/OKC game on Monday. Out with a guy friend and watching the game at a sports bar, we left when there were just a few minutes left, as OKC was up by 12. That Dallas came back to win just about made me cry when I read about it the next day. Not because they won, but because I missed it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Tuesday I drug my co-worker J downtown with me to the Cavs open house. My very own private tour of the arena and locker room, the chance to have the court completely to myself, free snacks and beverages? Yes please!! The only hitch was it turned out to be an event geared toward selling season tickets, and while I'm a hard-core fan and have even looked into season tix before, they just don't work for my situation. But for those of you keeping track at home, the front-row seat I fell in love with would have cost me $72K. The salesman made me feel a bit sheepish for coming to the event with no intention of buying tickets, but is it so surprising that there would be a fan who was just excited to see the place close up? I left the Q a little disappointed with how it all went down, but it was a sunny evening and the Indians were just getting ready to play the Red Sox, so J and I did what any person with half a brain would have done in our shoes: we bought two lower-level tickets, hot dogs, and pretzels and reveled in both the game and in our spontaneity.
Wednesday was supposed to be my first guitar lesson, but I cancelled on account of a tornado watch affecting all the counties in the area. The sky was a sickening color, and the storm was bringing everything from wind to thunder and lightening to 3.5-inch hail stones. I watched in horror as the stormed moved closer and closer to the city, and then my cable cut out. Which was alarming only because I could no longer hear the streets as they shouted out where the storm would be hitting every couple of minutes. I know I don't have it nearly as bad as many, but this whole extreme weather business is way more stressful than anything I'd like to be dealing with as I try to unwind from a day at the office.
Thursday may have actually been normal.
Then Friday the Neon Trees were in town, and while I'm ashamed to say I never went to any of Elaine's shows while the band was playing in Provo and just getting started, it was sort of thrilling to see them perform. Making it in the music industry can't be easy, and I'm glad to see them doing so well. Granted, their lead singer is a bit of a freak show, but I'll say this: the man can sing. Really. I think his voice is amazing, and it's always delightful to find someone who sounds even better live than on the air. Elaine's got a stellar voice, too, and I can't help but think that drumming and singing at the same time must be no small task. The only side effect from the concert is that my hearing is a little muffled today. There had been LG people (they sponsored the concert) giving away little ear buds while everyone was in line, and I had actually thought the idea seemed quite silly. As if you'd really wear ear protection at a concert. As if you'd even NEED it. And yet I caught myself a few times throughout the evening trying to nonchalantly plug an ear. Nothing like kicking the weekend off by eating crow.
.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
2 comments:
I purchased our office's four season tickets to the Atlanta Braves, so when the season ticket holder appreciation event came around, I was invited. And I went. And I took B and mom and dad with me. And I signed dad up to bat at home plate. Hee hee hee! We had the run of the place and no one pressured us into buying more season tickets. The only uncomfortable thing was worrying that the guy roaming the field/stands/locker room with a microphone was going to approach one of us and ask who our favorite player is and everyone in the place would see on the big screen that we couldn't name a single team member. Still fun to be there and eat hot dogs.
So glad you got to see the Trees. Yes, Tyler is a bit of a freak show, but an impressive show man nonetheless.
Post a Comment