Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Frights

Fall is such a fleeting thing, but these days and all their colors somehow make it all worth it. (Please remind me of this when it starts snowing.) This past weekend (really the past 5 or 6 days) has been glorious in the Cleve. Temps near 80, not a cloud in the sky. The kind of weather that makes you indescribably happy no matter what sort of brouhaha you're currently in the middle of. And this weekend provided plenty of frightening things:

1. I attempted to throw a shrimp boil. While it turned out fine and a good time was had by all, the food wasn't quite as delicious as yours KJ, and I realized only at the last minute that the shrimp still had their shells. I will never, ever understand the point of serving shrimp in their shells. Talk about frightening.

2. I left the house without my GPS. 'Nuff said.

3. I went to Wal-Mart. I make a point of NOT doing this, and it's not just because I'm always the only white person in the store and consequently feel like a walking target. I came face to face with a woman who...well...let's just say she was having a major malfunction and had no idea. It was one of the most confusing and horrifying things I've ever seen.

4. I went to a dance. And I immediately reverted back to my 14-year-old self and wished my mother had let me leave the house in a shorter skirt.

5. I attended a Sunday night dinner party. I never do things on Sunday night because I'm too busy stewing in my own depression over having to go back to work. Those last few hours of freedom are simply too precious. But the party was fabulous, and I didn't get home until (gasp) midnight.

You see what I mean. The perfection of fall weather makes you attempt crazy things and keep a smile on your face even when you know you may end up regretting them. Weirder still are the things you wouldn't even be doing except for the temporary fall-induced euphoria that has settled upon you. I can't explain it, all I can tell you is it won't last much longer, as tomorrow is forecasted to be the last nice day. Ever.

.

No comments: