Sunday, October 2, 2011

Phase 5: Utah (shameless gender-promoting)

When my boss originally asked me to recruit, I told him I had to leave early to come back and catch my flight from Cleveland to NYC. This was do-able. But then things got interesting when he asked if I’d be able to come back to Utah the following week to speak at a symposium at BYU. Outside of the recruiting realm, this was a Supply Chain symposium where the primary goal is to convince students to change their majors. The BYU supply chain program needs women almost as much as my company needs to recruit them, so I was once again brought in as the token example of a happy and successful female.

This did mean getting a little creative with my airfare, such that instead of coming back to Cleveland, I was now flying directly from SLC to NYC, and then from NYC right back to SLC a week later. It also meant packing a lot more underwear. But all things considered, the symposium went very well, I was treated like a full-fledged celebrity, and only a few times in my remarks did I feel like I was bending the truth so as to suggest that a career in supply chain is the best thing I’ve ever done.

Best of all, I (finally) got a little downtime, and I used it to meet up with a few of my favorite Utah people. I watched the end of the BYU game from my hotel room (what an ending!), and then got up early to make my way back to the Cleve. Speaking of which, I need to sign off and go spend some quality time with my cat, who keeps jumping on the counter as if it’s something she’s allowed to do. Clearly she needs a break from the pet hotel. I think both she and I would do well to stay put for a while.





.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Oh I'm SO glad you got to catch up with the Suz! Isn't Dixie a darling? Too bad she broke her collarbone this weekend. :(