Friday, November 16, 2012

Tale as old as time

When my friend KJ turned to me just before our stage performance of Beauty and the Beast began and said, "I might cry," l laughed. I think I actually scoffed. Partly because I thought she was joking, and partly because the idea of either one of us getting misty over Beauty and the Beast seemed ridiculous. I mean, it's Beauty and the Beast. Nothing about it has ever struck me as tear-worthy, plus we know it's going to work out in the end. I'm not sure then why I was so taken in by Belle in her yellow dress dancing with the Beast while Mrs. Potts sang the signature tune, but all I could think was, "THIS IS SO WONDERFUL!" In true sap style, my eyes welled up. I blame the woman sitting behind us, who was literally sobbing from the first measure of the introduction, but still, I found myself listening to the classic Angela Lansbury track this week every chance I got. Is this normal?

.

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I can't even sing Circle of Life all the way through for the boys.

.:kj:. said...

Not only was the title song phenomenal, but that made-for-Broadway number for Beast was heart wrenching. Is it strange that I tried to bring the show up in nearly every conversation I had with everyone this week?

Also, the ladies behind me scare me.