Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Breakthrough

I experienced a first the other night: I cried in yoga class.

My friend KJ will surely be proud of me. She's the one that got me hooked on yoga, and I confess when she told me a story about crying in yoga, I remember wanting to roll my eyes. Not at her, but at the collective yoga whole who touts all manner of mental, emotional, even spiritual benefits of its practice. Poppycock. Yoga for me has always been--and ONLY been--simply a good workout. It's an amazing workout. It's a workout that leaves me so spent (and covered in sweat) that I feel what I can only describe as hate for my instructor by about 30 minutes into each class. 

In any case, that's why I go to yoga. I have wholeheartedly resisted the Other Stuff. Of course, over the months I have certainly come to feel a more solid sense of self when at yoga, in that it is probably the only thing I do that inspires such focus on the present moment--and ONLY the present moment. I worry a lot, so my day to day thoughts tend to drift forward to all the things I have to do and figure out. I am also sentimental to a fault, so my day to day thoughts are also heavily influenced by the past, and by all the analysis that accompanies musings of regret or "what if."

But yoga for me is about the immediate present. That very moment. Getting through a pose. Taking a breath. Hoping the instructor will walk over so I can whisper "I sort of hate you right now" under my breath. Right now being the key. 

I didn't have any inkling when I settled into shavasana that I would almost instantly start to cry. But there I was, a steady stream of warm tears rolling, well, basically into my ears. Perhaps you could say it was a few days coming. I'd gone to the lake on Saturday, tissues in hand, expecting to have a good cry while watching the sunset in honor of a sad anniversary, but I didn't shed a single tear. Didn't even come close. Not that last night's episode is necessarily *that* cry, but regardless, I would have never predicted that a hot, dark room while laying next to dozens of sweaty bodies, not a single one of which I knew in the least, would be the place my psyche would suddenly feel such a paradoxical combination of both vulnerability and safety. I say safety because while it would have been tough, I could have fought it. But in that moment, I didn't want to. I couldn't think of a more welcoming environment for that kind of emotion. And isn't that so odd? I mean, what is this? I feel like I'm getting into a weird area here. 

At any rate, as soon as I walked out of class, the moment was gone. I was back in the world. Thinking about things I needed to do for work, thinking about how my stomach was hurting a bit, thinking about those license plate stickers that I really need to remember to put on. And so it goes. Until tomorrow night when I'm back in the yoga studio. (Although let's hope the crying was a one time thing.)
 
.

No comments: