Friday, July 11, 2014

The News




I had convinced myself not only that he wouldn’t come back, but also that I didn’t want him to come back. I really, really hated him for being such a doofus about his exit. This whole city hated him. So much. When the Heat came to town, we went to the Q and booed every time he had the ball. Every time. And he has the ball a lot.

I’ve been surprised then at how much this city has changed its story. How much everyone has managed to get to this place of, well, it’s not forgiveness per se, it’s more a realization—if we’re being honest with ourselves—about how much LeBron James still means to this city, despite the ridiculousness of The Decision spectacle. What surprised me most of all however was my own reaction upon hearing the news, which, despite my stubborn despising of him ever since he left, was one of happiness. I could in fact not wipe the smile off my face. I was not expecting that, nor was I expecting all the James jerseys I saw today to warm my heart so. But perhaps best of all, the kid who lives two doors down from me is—for the first time in a long time—outside shooting hoops. I hate to wish my summer away, but it’s going to be an exciting fall.

No comments: