This is an actual question that I was actually asked yesterday by a co-worker one floor up. This co-worker has known me since I moved here, as we always ended up at the gym at the same time. That is, until I saw the light and said goodbye to after hours workouts and joined the lunchtime crew. As a sidenote, the only downside to this switch is that I probably end up working out less often. There are days I am swamped and work through lunch. There are days I choose to go out with the group. There are days, such as today, when playing cornhole outside on the patio is too tempting an offer to pass up. And because I am now used to going home right after work, even on these days when I miss my lunchtime workout, I can never convince myself to stay after. The muscle tone of my arms is probably suffering, but then again, tossing those cornhole bean bags can be hard work too.
Back to the story. When I answered the phone, the first words out of my co-worker's mouth were, "Hey, do you have a real name?" The question sounded very strange as I repeated it over in my head. Did I have a real name? Was this a trick question? Of course I had a real name. It's THE ONE I GO BY. Doesn't everyone have a real name? I figured they must be wondering if I have a real-er name, if Tali is short for something. So after what was probably a very awkward pause, I responded with "No," and it was strangely amusing to think that I had answered the question of "Do you have a real name?" with "No." Turns out this was just a curious, random question, a precursor to the real reason for the call, which was a question about a certain product that appeared to be set up incorrectly in one of our systems. But for those of you keeping score at home, I apparently do not have a real name. Do you?
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
4 comments:
I understand. Let it be known that I too, apparently don't have a real name. It usually goes something like this:
"R?"(said incorrectly)
"No, it's R (correctly said)
"Oh, R. Is that a nickname"
"No"
"Oh, that's...(pause)...(pick one of the following: interesting, weird, different, odd, new, not one I've heard, etc)
Well I don't really have that problem, just issues with people pronouncing it correctly. But Tali, really I love your name!
I too do not have that problem; however, I am increasingly going by "Kat" these days, so I venture a guess that one day I could be posed with the very same question.
Ha ha ha ha. That is so funny. Especially that you answered no.
Post a Comment