Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The PC Refresh

I'll keep this brief, on account of not one of my 5 readers made it through my gargantuan weekend post. Which is really a shame...for the readers : )

For months now I've been receiving emails notifying me of our impending company PC refresh. This entails new PCs and laptops for each employee. Let it be known that I had mixed feelings about (read: dreaded immensely and didn't see the point of) this refresh. My work computers were fine, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of backing up files and learning new software and no longer being able to use my personal laptop charger on my work laptop when I'm at home (our computers have been Dell, as is my personal one, but now we have switched to HP). It's not that I'm afraid of change, it's that I get so content with my surroundings that I don't WANT to change. If it ain't broke and all.

The dreaded day arrived and I handed over my work computer to the IT folks last night with the assurance that my new one would be all set up this morning at my desk. Sure enough, like those invisible yet flawless processes I love so much (like presents appearing on Christmas, the mysterious dry-cleaning closet, etc.), my new computer/lappy was at my desk when I arrived. But not so fast, folks. Because when I turned it on, my email program hadn't installed correctly. I ventured down to the PC refresh headquarters (aka one of the classroom-type auditoriums downstairs) and let myself in. It was quite a production. Boxes of computers stacked to the ceiling, phones ringing off the hook, partially eaten McD's pancake breakfasts scattered on tables. But I had to imagine, despite the craziness, that these guys had to be enjoying it. They were as cheerful as could be in fixing my problem, and sent me on my way.

As for the new computers themselves, they are pretty fabulous. PC refresh=good idea. The moral of the story is that sometimes fixing something that isn't broken is still a good thing. Because maybe, comparatively speaking, it WAS broken, you just didn't know it.

4 comments:

Cassie Bumcrot said...

For the record: I read the weekend posts....I just hardly ever respond to anything. Lacrosse in go-carts did sound pretty crazy.

Heather said...

I made it through too. Just didn't comment.

I need a pc refresh at work. My computer is a hand-me-down from the student's computer lab.

sNick said...

I didn't make it through, but I read the last paragraph, and can't help but wonder if the arm-less, leg-less roommate is a metaphor for something. I just hope, seeing as how I was your roommate in those very dorms, that the metaphor doesn't involve me.

Lyndsey said...

VALIDATE ME!
I didn't read it and I don't feel bad about it. I don't think it's right...trying to make other people feel stupid.