Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A cube with a view

I've been at my company for two years now, and with the exception of my first few days, I've been in the same cube the whole time. It's prime real estate, and I mean that. First, it's a window cube. I can look outside at the (occasionally) beautiful weather. I can see by the freeway traffic if there's been an accident. I have control of the blinds, as the (occasional) sun glare disturbs me more than anyone else. I can keep a close eye on snow storms and am hence better equipped to know when I should bail and go home. Second, my cube is in the back. And honestly, this is a better sell to me even than the window. I absolutely love being in the back, because I get about 20 times less foot traffic. People (VPs especially) will always stop and ask random business questions to the people in the front. It's as if just seeing you reminds people that you have deliverables. And that they should ask you about them. Every time they go to the bathroom. Third, my cube only has one neighbor. Whereas most rows of cubes here are built back to back, my row is a solo row. In short, being on the window end of a solo row is dynamite.

Which is why I'm sorry to say that the building has decided to swap my department's location for another. So we're moving. About two rows over. I don't mind so much the packing up and unloading over such a measly distance, but it breaks my heart to leave this cube. In the original sketch of this new arrangement, my boss had me in a front cube, right outside his office. He asked our team if anyone had strong opinions of where or who they should sit by, and while I did say that I felt strongly about NOT sitting where he had put me, I thought it best not to demand a window cube or minimal neighbors. And so I'm now on the other side of our new row (no longer directly in front of his office) and sitting in the second cube. I have no window, I have three neighbors, but at least I'm not directly in the line of might-as-well-stop-and-talk-to-this-person-on-my-way-back-from-the-bathroom fire.

So, overall, I'm pretty bummed. But the silver lining in all this is having to box up all my crap made me realize how much of it is just that...crap. My new cube is now the neatest and sparsely-cluttered cube in town. I really don't know why I keep my house neat as a pin and my cube a complete disaster, but that changes now. I'm getting clean.

.

1 comment:

Kat said...

When I am in the office (which in a bizarre turn of events, seems to be less and less these days), I too have a delightful window cube. Unfortunately for me, though, is the fact that I sit a) right outside of a mini-conference room which draws large amounts of people who think the room is soundproof, and b) right outside of a partner's office. There are other downsides to where I sit, but all in all the window makes up for a large portion of them. I'm sorry, friend, that you had to move.