Monday, July 12, 2010

Seeing DC

I'd never been, and was delighted to learn it's only an hour flight from C-land. (And I must note that I saw Patricia Heaton at the CLE airport. Granted she's no Angelina Jolie, but I still did a fair amount of gawking at seeing someone in real life who I've only ever seen on TV.) As far as DC itself, I was thoroughly impressed. Talk about a city with lots in it. I truly love NYC, but DC gives it a run for its money in terms of number of significant things to see. I doubt my legs have ever hurt so much from all the walking, but I had such a great time.

Biggest surprises: 1) that Iwo Jima is freaking HUGE. I thought the statue was to life. As in the people were the same size as regular people. It was amazing to see the size of it. 2) that the pentagon is freaking boring. You can't even tell it's a pentagon. 3) that everything is free. Museums, memorials, monuments. All free. 4) that the Whitehouse is smaller and much less grand than it appears. The only reason I have any amount of affection for it is because of the movie Dave. 5) that the Smithsonian houses the Hope Diamond. This became my top priority. A city full of national history, and I spent the biggest chunk of Saturday afternoon holed up in the jewelry exhibit. It was another "Take me to Tiffany's" moment, and I had to laugh at myself. Founding fathers? Eh. Get me to the Hope Diamond.

In all seriousness, it's impossible to go to DC and not feel an enormous sense of gratitude and awe for this country and the men and women who have given their lives for it. Also the men and women who are still fighting, still putting themselves on the line for the rest of us. God bless the USA. And God bless Harry Winston.







4 comments:

whitney said...

1) L*B*** to Miami, you to DC? Is there anyone left in Cleveland?

2) When you said the Hope Diamond became your top priority, I had visions of you stealing it, a la The Great Muppet Caper.

Carol said...

whitney and i "did" DC last June, and I agree, the museums are amazing. Remember seeing W's pics with the dinosaur bones and the Easter Island guy? Glad you experienced that wonderful city. (Also love the movie Dave)

TEN said...

so, did you know Patricia Heaton by name? or did you have to look up the name of the actress that plays ray's wife before writing the blog? just curious..

Tali Nay said...

Whitney, would that my life were that exciting. But no, I was not looking to steal the jewel. (Don't think I didn't think about it though...or at least wonder how such a feat would even be accomplished.

TEN - I actually DID know her name. Only because she's one of the 'well-known' Clevelanders.