Monday, July 25, 2011

The Rocky Horror Indians Game

The bottom line is this: There was no game. There was supposed to be a game.

But this is summer, and the routine lately has been a hot, humid day (most of them pushing 100 degrees) followed at some point in the afternoon or evening by torrential downpours and lightening, which repeats itself again in the middle of the night, but with much more intensity. So as I was heading downtown on Saturday evening and noticed the disgustingly familiar color of the sky, I really should have turned right around.

Instead I sat, with the rest of the sold-out crowd, for over 2 hours in the 90+ degree heat, humidity, and pouring rain. Sure, we were all stupid for staying. I can see that now. But in the moment, much of the crowd soaking wet but not deterred, we remained hopeful that the rain would stop and the game would eventually start.

You'd think the story ended at 9:05 when they announced, to a sea of boos, that there would be no game, but you'd be wrong. And while I won't bore you with the details of the 90 minutes it took me to get home (it took years off my life), let me just say that it involved swearing, almost getting pulled over, and driving into oncoming traffic. Which was the cherry on top of an altogether miserable evening. Were I to have seen a baseball game, it would have all been worth it. Had I not spent $40 on parking and food (including an ice cream cone that melted almost faster than I could eat it), I might not be kicking myself quite this much. Had the weather not been hellish, it actually could have been a fun time. Man, I really need to get out of this heat. I feel a trip to Seattle coming on...

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although, I really enjoyed your company and it kept me on my toes!!! I should have explained better that it was not a one-way street! So I'll take the blame on this one!
---SAM

Lisa said...

The Mariners have lost 17 straight.... not sure you want to see them play...

comment brought to you by word verification: zollyst.