Saturday, August 4, 2012

So.....M likes mix tapes

I know, sweet right? Or maybe not. The whole idea of a mix tape has become perceived as juvenile and near laughable these days, but I find it sweet. I do. And not to mention useful. I mean, think about all the cool music other people know about that you don't. Especially for a person like me who has been out of the music scene for a few years now. I have no idea what I should be listening to. For example, I would have never even heard of Mumford & Sons had my friend KJ not loaned me their album. And it has seriously changed my life. So how nice to have M making discs for me full of the artists he loves. I returned the favor with a few discs of my own, and now we each have new artists and music to enjoy.

It just so happened that one of M's favorites, Joshua Radin, was in town last weekend for a concert. I've been introduced to him via the discs M has made for me, so it was great timing to be able to attend the concert. Tristan Prettyman (another one M introduced me to) opened, and I must say I absolutely love her sound. See what I mean? Such fun to find these gems! And speaking of great timing, one of my own favorites (and one who surfaces a lot on the discs I've made for M) was at the House of Blues last night, so I took M to his first Rufus Wainwright concert. I don't think that M was fully prepared for what a character Rufus is, but it was a great concert, and I'll always think his voice is beautiful. Bring on the next mix tape.

.

 


2 comments:

TEN said...

aww I LOVE Rufus Wainwright! So jealous. How fun to be near a place where great musicians go :) So...M is a part of the thanksgiving plans, yes??

sNick said...

My most recent discovery is the Lumineers. Good stuff.