I was traveling for work last week (Sunday afternoon through Friday night...how do you like them apples??), although all things considered, it wasn't a bad trip. It was just exhausting. The days are long and the dinners even longer, and by the time you get back to the hotel it's already almost 11 PM and you still have to get some work done before you can go to bed. I did manage to have one free evening and was able to sneak over to the Mall of America while in Minneapolis, and I also got to catch up with some really good friends while in Chicago. It warmed my heart.
The good thing about being on the road like that is that it really makes you appreciate your free time when you get home. All weekend I couldn't believe how luxurious it felt. To be home. Sleeping in. Running errands. Getting things done. I kept thinking, "It's still Saturday!" because an entire day to myself felt like such a gift. I know those of you with children are scoffing at my I-had-to-go-a-whole-week-without-any-time-to-myself complaint, but for a singleton who's used to it, it totally drained me.
And so I'm enjoying being back home. The only challenge has been the heartbreak that still occupies the majority of my thoughts. In a way being on the road distracts me from it, so once I'm home and settled I remember how awful I still feel sans M. But I know it will be that way for quite a while. And in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minor. Case in point: A co-worker of mine just passed away unexpectedly leaving a wife and young children behind, and if that kind of news doesn't make make you feel like you've been slapped upside the head for wallowing in your own miseries, then I don't know what will.
.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment