Saturday, January 25, 2014

Maximizing the Membership


My sister has been telling me for a while that I really ought to take better advantage of my Costco membership. She has a point. I only buy 5 things there:

cat litter
tampons
granola bars
gum
clorox wipes

I cook for one, and so have never really been able to justify buying much in the food realm, nor do I ever buy anything new in the TV or furniture realm. I don't need a million tea lights or a million notepads or a million anything. But if I'd just take the time to really look at everything Costco had to offer, she said, I'd be able to find lots of things that I do use often enough to make buying in bulk worth it.

Over my Christmas visit to her house, we ventured out to Costco. She armed me with a clipboard so I could take notes on what I found, and to my surprise, I ended up with a huge list of things! Take breakfast alone - I eat an egg white omelet with spinach and roasted red peppers every morning. Buying the BIG jars of peppers at Costco saves me a bundle. So does buying egg whites there. From shampoo to toilet paper to Kleenex, there are many things that make sense for me to buy there...even though some of them may take FOREVER to use.

On my first trip to Costco after returning from Christmas travels, I spent $334. I was so proud. The picture I've included is of my cart that day. Here's to a lot more where that came from.
.

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

I'm happy to see the madras lentils in there.