Saturday, September 20, 2008

Storm Cleanup

When I saw Ike terrorize Texas, I thought to myself how glad I am to be living out of his range. So I was slightly confused last weekend when, while driving home from a dinner party, it was so windy that I couldn't keep my car straight on the freeway. By the time I got off the freeway and into town, all the traffic lights were out, whole trees were in the road, orange construction cones from various projects were strewn about all out of place and no one knew where to drive. It was pure mayhem. I turned on my computer after arriving home and looked up the weather in Cleveland, and sure enough, there was a high wind warning in effect due to Ike wind gusts blowing up. I am still incredibly baffled by this, but whatever.

The point of all this is that by morning, I had branches and pieces of various trees and bushes covering my entire driveway and front/backyard. Although to be fair, these said items were covering everything. I haven't had a chance to deal with the mess Ike left my house in until today, and I am happy to report that after 3 hours, I have removed all evidence of Ike. I also took care of a few non-storm related outdoor tasks, and I've included a list below, just because yardwork makes me feel productively independent.

1. Put round up on all the weeds coming up from the cracks in the driveway cement
2. Raked back yard to remove storm debris
3. Swept driveway and patio to remove storm debris
4. Raked front yard to remove storm debris
5. Mowed back yard
6. Mowed front yard
7. Put piles of debris in garbage cans
8. Removed debris from mulched area along fenceline
9. Weeded mulched area along fenceline
10. Pulled now dead-rooted weeds from cracks in driveway cement

I am now exhausted, but luckily the weather is beautiful today, so I can't say I minded all the outdoorness. Plus, I have my iPod. Which, by the way, makes me wonder every day how I ever got along without it. Good tunes, gorgeous weather, is there a better way to clean up the remnants of the remnants of a tropical storm?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! How are you? I don't recall seeing any pics of your residence? Planning on posting those? I love reading your blog. I especially loved the one about your date and the blender. You are such a fun person. I am sorry that Ike came through to your house. It sounds like we faired better than you. Keep up with my blog. We are having fun here in Texas. Not! It is so flat here and so boring. Brett is looking to get out of this state by next year. Yes, the people are nice but we need more than just nice friends too- we realized. Miss ya.

B.S. said...

Tali you crack me up...this is more proof that you need your own place. You are probably taking better care of your house then the people that own it would!

Dani said...

My iPod is broken. :( Again. This time they said to just let it go for good. But I don't know that I have $300 to make a new iPod investment at this moment. Student loans, people.