Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thoughts about Work...

FRIDAY: I have had a very interesting past few days at work. Friday was by far the most stressful day I've had so far. Problems and questions flying at me every second. Mostly from the sales reps. See, I made some stocking changes to some of our products last week, and the reps were not happy with how the changes would affect their customers. The changes needed to be made, but I completely understood where they were coming from. And I admit, it was hard for me to have them so upset. Because I'm a nice person, I do nice things for them, so having them not be nice to me seemed inconsistent and unfair. Clearly I have a certain amount of sensitivity to overcome.

MONDAY: So I spent yesterday coming up with a plan. I thought of some ways to improve the process I use to determine these stocking changes, ran them by the sales reps, and suddenly they loved me! They were thanking me for my support! And so the world was once again as it should be. Really, I love the sales and marketing side of business so much because it keeps me connected to the customers. And customers, after all, are the reason why I do business.

TUESDAY: Today I had a presentation in front of the VP and several others, but the key person whose presence was critical in our moving forward with the project called at the last minute to say he couldn't make it. Needless to say, the meeting ended up being kind of a waste, even though my presentation itself went very well. You should have seen the VP though! He was so mad at the person who canceled that he stormed out of the conference room and instructed the department admin to locate the individual immediately. The admin poked her head in a few minutes later to say that the said person would not be joining us and would catch up with us tomorrow. Let me just say, I feel sorry for the impending lashing that awaits him from the VP. And the funny thing is, this VP is a very personable guy. That he was so annoyed was surprising. It could have had something to do with the fact that the VP had only hours earlier been dunked in our annual pay-to-get-whoever-you-want-in-the-dunk-tank extravaganza. That water looked mighty cold.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Pay to get whoever you want in the dunk tank? How much? Is it different depending on the person's status? That might be a good way to keep the VP from getting dunked. But the poor mailroom guy would get dunked over and over. "Hey, he's all I can afford." Maybe a group of people could pool money to dunk Dean! How much would it have cost do dunk you? I am prepared to pay $12.

Tali Nay said...

the bidding was open to all employees. You could put as much money as you wanted on anyone you wanted (within our region here in Ohio), and the top ten people with the most money on them were the people who got dunked.

Dani said...

A paycheck is the reason I do business, but that's noble of you thinking of the customers. I'm sure you are amazing at your job because you are amazing period and always do everything so well. Seriously.

Dani said...

By the way, as much as I love you, I might have put down a hefty sum all my own to see you dunked. I could just imagine the trauma on your part so it would be so funny...