Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Book House

Cleveland is kind of a rough city. Much as I enjoy it here, sometimes it's discouraging that I don't feel it's safe to go on walks by myself, or that the church has to hire a police officer to hang out in the parking lot on sundays. But all in all, Cleveland is serving me well. There are of course highlights such as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, historic church sites nearby, Lebron, the second largest theater district east of the Mississippi, and so on. But my favorite things/places are the little spots I frequent for little things.

There's the music store (in the most adorable white house) where I buy things for my guitar and stop more often than I should with questions. Partly because I like that they sell instruments and give lessons and promote music in the community. And partly because all the guys who work there are very attractive. There's the flavor store that sells the Black Bean salsa I've become addicted to. It's got no heat, which is fine, and a heavy vinegar taste, which I love. The last time I went in, I bought all the jars they had on the shelf. The man at the counter said, "Do you want more? We have more in the back." I told him no, that I was fine, and then added, "I'll admit I'm addicted though." And he smiled.

And then there's the library. I love my library. It's a mansion, done in kind of a European castle style. Any of you who have actually seen European castles would disagree, but I don't know how else to describe it. The mansion was donated by the family who used to live there, and consequently, there are things about the library that remind you of its former inhabitants. Like the 'book house,' a separate structure, once the garage I imagine. Today when I stopped to return a book, I was delighted to find the 'Book Sale Today' sign displayed in front of the main entrance. I asked the lady at the counter if the sale was upstairs. "No, it's in the book house." The book house! I was almost more excited to see the book house than I was about the actual sale.

The sale was run by senior citizens, sectioned off by categories as one might expect, and of course, super cheap. The downsides were I didn't find any books I wanted and the book house smelled like musty BO. But I did find several DVDs of interest, and for mere pennies, who can pass that up? DVDs like Gattaca, WallE, Stardust, the X Files, and so on. DVDs I wouldn't pay full price for, but for a buck? Yes please. (That's right, Scully and Mulder. I love you, but I wouldn't have paid full price for your new movie).

2 comments:

KES said...

I am so envious of your library!!! Oh, to be the librarian of such a place.

sNick said...

Gattica! Lucky dog.