Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Sitar Player

Three months in on the guitar, and it's hard to say how it's going. What follows is both sides of the argument.

It is not going well at all: I'm somewhat flat-fingered with the chords, so I oftentimes end up hitting strings I don't want to. I also don't seem to push down hard enough, so I oftentimes end up with weird vibrating noises. There are certain chords I can't even play, as my hand will simply not stretch as far as is required. The first two issues may be resolved with practice, I imagine, but the fingers-not-stretching-far-enough thing does not appear to be solvable. I can't just stretch myself into a bigger wingspan, now can I. Strumming is also a challenge. I started just using the thumb, but it's really quiet, almost muffled. I tried using a pick, but it's too loud and I always come down too hard on the top string or something. I've recently settled on just using the other fingers/nails, and I think I like it best, although it needs work. Which is the moral of this entire guitar endeavor.

It's going very well: I can play seven songs, most of which are some of my favorites. Considering I don't have much time to play, I think this is good progress. Sure, they are not polished and I'm a beginner, but they sound better and better, and, more importantly, I can't even describe how much happiness and satisfaction playing them brings me. Maybe it's that I've always wanted to learn how to play, maybe it's that learning new things in general is such an addicting experience, or maybe it's just that I really love to sing along. This was the main reason I wanted to learn anyway; to be able to accompany myself when I want to sing. The highlights of my week are the times I sit down to play through the songs, and I only hope my neighbors don't get tired of hearing them...if they can hear them at all, which I kind of hope they can't.

While visiting L, B, and E last week, I gave a small 'concert' to show them what I've been learning. While feeling slightly sheepish at having to follow B, who has been playing for years, it was I who...shall we say...brought the house down. I have a favorite T. Swift song--the one she wrote for her mom that is a sort of ode to parents and how wonderful and selfless they are--and the first time I heard it, I cried. Make that the first ten times. I'm serious. I was in the car for a couple of hours, and each time I got to that point on the album it would make me cry. Well, I played/sang it for L and B, and by the end of the song, L was crying. We joked that it had been such a great concert that half the audience was moved to tears! I was just glad to see that she 'got it', you know?

I guess the point of all this, other than that I really should get some professional lessons, is that I don't have to be great. I just want to play. And the good news is, if I do, I'll keep getting better. Now if I could just do something about that wingspan...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh yes..i bet it was a wonderful concert.."she's muuuurdering the tune..ooooofff with her head"..but seriously another thing..if you haven't already you have to see the music video to that taylor swift song..very cute