Monday, September 21, 2009

Wedding Announcement

We've all seen hundreds of them. There are things we like, things we don't like, things we hate, things that surprise or annoy us, but by this stage of life (the stage of all my friends are married), I've pretty much seen it all. That is until the most recent announcement I received. The parents are listed on the bottom left of the announcement. Parents of the bride, two names, followed by parents of the groom, six names. That's right. There are three (full) sets of parents listed for the groom. And I'm having a hard time picturing the kind of circumstances that would warrant this. A mother and a spouse, a father and a spouse, and a former step parent and a spouse? Foster parents? Adoptive parents who each divorced and re-married, and then birthparents who were found somewhere along the way? Was he raised by grandparents, equal time spent with all 4 pairs, only three of which are still living? See what fun it is to hypothesize??? Any other ideas?

8 comments:

AJones said...

you said there would be no math . . .

whitney said...

I'm sure it's nothing Maury Povich couldn't resolve in a half hour.

Suz said...

I received the same one...was just as confused...

Kat said...

I know to what you are referring. And here's the scoop:

1. Mom and Step-dad.
2. Dad and Step-mom.
3. Aren't even related to him. They are the people that he considers his parents (completely unrelated in any way), because they have taken him in. His relationship with his real parents is seriously lacking. I know, it's weird, but I guess he wanted to honor them?

Tali Nay said...

i see. the case is solv-ed.

Suz said...

Leave it to Kat to know it all. :)

Alisha said...

Tali, have to admit when I first saw this blog title I thought maybe you were making an announcement (as did Brian who happened to look over my shoulder and say "Tali's getting married?").

So I saw a pretty funny wedding announcement--it was actually for my Dad's former step daughter. Her mom had been married 6 times and so she put the names of all her former step dads on it! It read: "Helen and Dave, John, Larry, Joe, harry, and Steve are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter...". It was pretty comical!

Dani said...

Tali, that is so crazy...and Alisha's comment is hilarious.