Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Things you learn while traveling

1. The wearing a ring on your left hand to discourage weirdos from talking to you is a great plan until you end up sitting next to Mr. Hottie Hot on the plane. Hello, Captain Backfire. Welcome.

2. The extra $ you pay to park at the airport just may be worth sparing yourself the stress of no one being able to pick you up when you return. **This only applies if virtually every one of your friends end up being at the same event during the exact time of your arrival. Which virtually never happens. Except when it does.

3. If you turn on your phone after the first flight and it's completely kaput (stuck in the powering up process, can't kill it, can't charge it, nada), you may decide to call the one number you know by heart from a pay phone and come up with a couple of ridiculous ways for them to get the person you are going to visit's number, but all you really have to do is pull the battery out of your phone and put it back in.

4. If after the fourth flight, your phone no longer allows you to hear anything on the other end, the battery thing won't help. You'll need to have a new phone ordered.

5. When times are tight, airlines cut back on ranch, and you'll need to eat the carrots they serve with your sandwich plain.

6. Although it looks like you need some kind of funky jack in order to listen to the in-flight entertainment, your regular headphones will work just fine. If you don't find this out in time for the lame travel show or the history of Continental, no biggie, but try to figure it out before they start showing the good stuff. Like Samantha Who.

7. Never fly into either Denver or Colorado Springs unless you enjoy feeling like you are about to die.

8. Farmer's Markets are universally delightful. No matter where you are, you will find something you can't live without and meet someone with whom you share something in common. Like maybe the honey-selling man from my same small corner in Oregon. (to be clear, said honey-man falls under the latter category of someone who shares something in common with me...he is not something I can't live without)

9. Manitou Springs is in desperate need of a little bakery...to complement the fabulous ice cream and fudge. And by complement I mean seriously kick the butt of. Those of you who have already been recruited for my future bakery endeavor, consider this on the list of possible locations. Along with any other city my nephew is close to.

10. If you have been visiting your only nephew, and if he happens to be the cutest baby in the world, coming back home might make you cry a little.


8 comments:

sNick said...

I'm flying to Denver this weekend, and you're the second person this week who has mentioned that the flight might be less than enjoyable (the other being my Mother). But, since I like feeling like I'm about to die, I guess it's okay.

Tali Nay said...

nickster, you'll be fine. you laugh in the face of danger. although keep in mind you don't have any luck this month.

Cassie Bumcrot said...

I flew into Denver twice last month.....and thought it was the smoothest flights and landing ever in a jumbo plane. I thought of you when we flew in the itty plane in Costa Rica. I wondered how you would feel about it.

Suz said...

Friend it was so good to see you! I love hearing all about the trip and seeing cute baby pics! I hpoe you come and visit once my little one comes. Miss you!

Heather said...

Remember when you were little and going on a plane was an exciting adventure? What happened to that?

Cute nephew btw. I want one.

Unknown said...

Why do you get to spend time with little baby E...."No fair..."

Lyndsey said...

Because she has a job.

Stay in school, Wenv.

Kat said...

Well, I'm up for really anywhere. And close to cute babies is always a plus.

In other news, I always love reading your blog. It's funny, clever, and overall delightful.

Miss you.