Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Creativity of my Summer Menu

I eat pretty healthy, especially in the summer. Because it's too hot and I never feel like cooking. So for the past 2+ months I've had brown rice and carrots for dinner (or some other veggie), along with the occasional piece of fish. Don't commend me for being healthy, because really, this is just laziness.

The downside to eating this way is it subjects me to an occasional urgent need to eat something crappy. Really crappy. I recently found myself putting a Totino's Party Pizza in my cart. I haven't eaten one in years, but I just HAD to have one. I came home and cooked it for dinner. I ate the whole thing. And it burned the roof of my mouth off.

The last time I was at Target, I saw that the conveyer at the register I'd selected had a couple of abandoned items. I hate it when people do that, but as I got closer, I couldn't help but notice that the items included 2 boxes of Macaroni and Cheese. The kind with the fun shapes. And all I could think about was how long it had been since I had had Macaroni and Cheese and how much I wanted a bowl of it at that very moment. Had the cashier not come around and removed the items right before I got there, I'd have told her they were mine. Did I mention the fun shapes?

And this past weekend, there was only one thing that sounded good for lunch on Sunday. I went to the pantry (which doubles as my basement stairs) and retrieved a package of Top Ramen.

Isn't this some sort of established principle? Denying yourself something will cause you to inevitably overindulge at some point? Or maybe it's just that boredom gets boring. So does brown rice.

.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I desperately need to eat nothing but brown rice and carrots for the next several months. My health is on the verge of collapse. Thank you, busy season.