Thursday, August 11, 2011

Noteworthy

I recently re-read one of my favorite books, Peace Like a River, and it's every bit as superb as I remember. The perfect balance of humor and anguish (not to mention the author's narrative skill), if you haven't read this book, you need to. You NEED to.

On the work blog front, I received a bit of a shock last week when I logged in and saw that DS, our very own CEO, had commented on my most recent blog post. I about fell out of my chair. You have to understand that in the world of Fortune 500 companies, the CEO is a full-fledged celebrity. People go nuts when he's in town, when he sends out a business update, when he throws his cafeteria garbage in the same bin you did. So while no one else even cares that this happened (I mean, what's a blog?) , I continue to be delighted that it did. It would be one thing if DS were commending a project team that had just saved the company millions of dollars. That would be a no-brainer. But that he somehow found my piddly blog, read it, and liked it enough to tell me they were "Great comments!," to me that means a little bit more. And the craziest part is the post had been about the Rocky Horror Indians game, which I related to customers in general and how you can't always give them what they want even though they may boo and hiss en masse. In short, you can't always play through the rain.

And while my summer has been full of trips (Pac NW x 2 plus upcoming trips to Pittsburgh, Denver, Rexburg, Provo, and New York City), guitar playing (I'm taking lessons!), and manuscript-writing (I've started my second!), I've decided to add a new pursuit to the mix. I've enrolled in jewelry school! Those who know me well will recall that being a jeweler was always my career plan. Well, business happened, life happened, and it's only in the past couple of months that I've realized this doesn't mean it's too late to resurrect the dream. Although in fairness it was almost entirely my recent reading of The Alchemist that inspired said realization. Not sure what the world of gemology holds for me (although can't you see me with my own store??), but I'm happy to the point of being giddy at being able to study gems. I find it all so fascinating. And so, so sparkly.

Don't worry, I didn't quit my day job. I thought about it. For a long time. A really long time. But how could I possibly leave now? Not with DS on my side.

.

1 comment:

Jasmyn said...

Good for you, Tali! I also recently read the Alchemyst (and no, I don't feel like looking up the correct spelling), but I didn't really have a desire to study gems. :) I'm so glad you are though--keep us updated!