This is the last line of a children's book I used to love. 'Bears in the Night.' Know it? These bears sneak out of bed, out of the house, into the forest, through spook hill, and after the adventure is complete, they end up back safely in bed. This is what I said to myself (and I was thinking of this exact book as I said it) when I got into bed last night. Although spook hill has nothing on Ohio's extreme weather.
My Friday night consisted of watching the Cavs game at the home of J & J, who are delightful. We ordered pizza, I brought over some DQ, and we thoroughly enjoyed watching Lebron, Delonte, and the rest of the boys beat up on the Celtics. They really should be doing this every game. The only other noteworthy fact is that a crazy storm was coming through. A storm that brought with it lightening, thunder, hail, dangerous wind gusts, and even a tornado warning. So concerned was the cable company for our safety that they flashed a red warning bar across the top of the screen for, that's right, the whole game.
I stuck around after the game ended to let the eye of the storm pass before venturing home, although as soon as I started driving, I knew I had made a mistake. I should have turned right around and gone back inside. Because it was freaky. There was lightening everywere. In every direction, a constant stream of flashes, some blindingly close. There were spots of torrential rain, such that I couldn't see a thing in front of me and just sailed slowly, taking up both lanes, as carefully as I could. The both lanes thing wasn't a problem of course, as there was no one else on the roads last night. Because other people are not as insane (or at least as western minded) as I am.
I managed to keep my cool (and by keep my cool I mean absolutely NOT keep my cool) by listening to 'Sweet Caroline' on repeat until arriving home. (The 'Glee' version. Come on, Puck is hot.) I use this same one-song-on-repeat tactic while on airplanes, by the way. It's remarkably soothing. The one thing I can control amidst total chaos and imminent death. And so it was with much rejoicing that I pulled into the driveway safely and soon found myself in bed. Just like the bears. Safe travels, a 30-point victory, Dilly Bars. Good times never seemed so good.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
1 comment:
Hey now, it was only 29. Glad you made it home safely. (as for song repeats - glad I'm not the only one who does that - I listened to John Mayer's Stop this Train 20 times during my ten-mile run today . . .)
Post a Comment