Friday, May 14, 2010

A dream deferred (aka the last basketball post)

This will be it, I promise. But since Cleveland is now out of it, I just need to say a few words. If not for you, then for me. And my posterity...who will no doubt be immensely interested in how much I love the playoffs.

Pre-game: I'll be the first to admit that the Cavs were derailing. Although it's not even that they were, it's that they had. They had derailed. Still, I was surprised by how unanimously the entire country had written off the Cavs winning game 6. I mean, come on. They are the #1 team. And they had blown the Celtics away in game 3 (in Boston), so it's not as if a win in game 6 was THAT much of a stretch. It could have easily happened. Even in the 4th quarter, after Lebron made those two 3-pointers in a row and we were within 4, it could have easily happened. And I believed. I was sick-to-my-stomach nervous and couldn't even sit down. All I could do was stand directly in front of the TV, watch the game unfold, and then play soothing songs on my guitar during the commercials to avoid combusting from the stress of it all.

Post-game: In case you're wondering, yes, most of Cleveland is on suicide watch today. We are so depressed. I swear, even the cars are driving slower. Although I myself am surely not suffering as much as the owner of the car in front of me today with the "LBJ CAVS" license plate. It's funny though, because I'm not as sad as I thought I'd be. Mostly because we just played so crappy. It's so much our fault that I'm not even heartbroken about the series. I am however heartbroken about the situation in general. The fact that this was our best and last shot, that we had worked so hard through the season and had the best record again, and yet somehow got eliminated in the second round. It's just shocking that this is how it all went down. So sure was I that we'd go further that I had actually held off on some travel plans in May and June because I didn't want to risk not being in town for the big games. (Yes, I have a problem) And it's not really Lebron I feel sorry for today, or even the team, or even the city (although I do). It's me I feel sorry for. Like I may or may not have said, being there when your team wins an NBA championship is pretty much the very top of my fantasy bucket list. And this year might have been the closest I'll ever get. Unless I decide to move to LA. Which I won't.

On Lebron: Will Cleveland fans hate him, booo him when he shows up in the uniform of another team? Probably. Although hating him would be pretty silly if you ask me. I will always love him, because he gave this franchise (and this city) seven years' worth of life, he's a decent guy off the court, and he's just so good at this game we call basketball. Will I be upset if he leaves? That depends entirely on his motives. Doing it for money would be lame. He'll always have plenty of money, and it shouldn't be about the money. Likewise, if he does it after deducing that because he hasn't won a championship in Cleveland that he should try his luck somewhere else, this would be equally lame. Because I'm not convinced switching teams is going to do anything to increase his chances. But if he simply looks at his options and decides (the way any of us decide to relocate or switch jobs) that another city and team would be best for him and his family, then I think he should go where he wants to go. We'll really suck without him, but I wouldn't hold anything against him. Except maybe games 4, 5, and 6.

Parting shots: All in all, I'm glad I was able to be there, front and center, for the last 2 home games we won with Lebron as a Cavalier. I'm also glad I picked game 1 of the Boston series (as opposed to game 2 or game 5, which were utter embarrassments). And I'm especially glad I didn't buy those season tickets.


.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I think you've finally become a Clevelander. Prepare yourself for all kinds of disappointment. PS I think I'm going to Seattle in a month. Any suggestions? I'm sure you've been.

Lisa said...

I think Lebron will only stay if the Cavs can get some more quality players to help him out. He couldn't do it all on his own against the Celtics starting 5, which are all amazing players. He did come close, but close is not enough. 5 against 1 is not really fair.

Lyndsey said...

Yay! No more basketball posts!!!!

Like I said: Cleveland, a broken, depressed, shell of a city? I can't imagine...

When will your company finally pull out?

RAJ said...

If Lebron does leave, and the city spirals into a state of mass depression, just remember you have a lifetime exemption to be a Blazer fan. You'll be well prepared to deal with exploding knees after what you've just experienced.

The Blazers may never win a championship either, but surely they'll be closer to it than the Cavs.

And for what it's worth, I like your bball posts. And the pictures.

R