Wednesday, May 26, 2010

National Sales Conference

I work at our divisional headquarters, which means everyone is in town this week for our national sales conference. It's pretty much the best week ever, because I spend 95% of my time working with our sales force, and they are the best part of my job. Before this week, I'd only met about half of them, so it's been such a treat to put faces to the voices I hear almost every day.

In an effort to get in front of them when they were all in one place (so they could at least put a face to MY voice), I finagled my way into my boss' scheduled presentation at the conference. It worked like a charm, and the presentation went so well, that I've been getting comments all week. Including somewhat panicky ones from my boss who is now paranoid that sales will want me. (They do. I've already gotten calls).

From my childhood shops (which consisted of me selling my crappy, broken toys) to door-to-door fundraisers for school to my account managing days before grad school, I've always had a mind for sales. It's not that I like "selling" per se, or that I'm super motivated by commission, it's that I like being the one who connects people to things that they want or need. I like making people's lives easier and better through my relationship with them. And so me going to sales is inevitable really. It's where my heart is, it's where the majority of my skill set is, I'm just not sure when or how I'll make the transition. Office politics are interesting, as is trying to figure out how to play your hand when it comes to your career. I don't have much of a poker face. (She's got to love nobody.)
.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Is it to late for you to serve a mission? Sounds like you'd do a good job.

KES said...

Yeah for getting into the presentation, that is great! And didn't your boss predict, like last year, that it would only be a matter of time before you got tapped. You will figure it out beautifully!

Lyndsey said...

You sold more than broken crappy toys. You always needed to have a stash of old hard candy for me to buy. It's the only thing I WOULD buy. I should have kept my reciepts to prove it.