Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The All-day Potluck

I love the Food network. So. Much. Some people don't see the point of just watching people cook things that you yourself are not ever going to cook. Although, for the record, I have (multiple times) looked up a recipe afterward for my own use. Cases in point: I have made spicy macaroni and cheese from a food network show recipe, I'm a big fan of making chicken cordon blue (sp?) with bacon and blue cheese as opposed to the traditional ham and swiss, and I make any number of homemade dressings with EVOO/vinegar/and some kind of fruit preserves. All tricks from the food channel.

I always turn it on while I'm working out at lunch, and I usually catch the Paula Deen show in its entirety. Paula Deen is a wonder to me. She is as amazing as she is ridiculous, and to be honest, I have mixed feelings about her cooking. I used to LOVE her. How refreshing it was amidst a sea of weight-watching, figure-friendly shows and recipes to have a woman who shamelessly promotes butter as her core ingredient. She had no shame, and everything looked delicious. Recently however, her show sickens me a little. She made mashed potatoes yesterday and put in an entire stick of butter, a carton of sour cream, a pound and a half of chopped bacon, and three cups of cheese. And my other favorite...the cheesiest, meatiest lasagna ever eaten (as a sandwich) between two loaves of garlic bread...the garlic bread covered with about a half inch of butter. I'm sorry Paula, I just don't know if I can support this anymore.

Today was our annual all-day potluck at work. People bring in whatever they want and everyone eats it. All day long. The thing about the all-day potluck is that the designated displaying of the goods happens right next to my desk. And I kind of like it. Not just because of my proximity, but because it's kind of fun to see how excited people get. They grab a plate for breakfast, second breakfast. Then all the lunchy things (corn chowder, pulled pork, fried chicken...) come out. Then the desserts (Key lime pie, cheesecake, Oreo balls). It just keeps getting better. Paula Deen would be proud.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Yes, yes she would.