
I experienced my first red eye flight last night. True, this seemed to be the only option for leaving PDX on Sunday night. Or maybe it was just the only option that didn't cost a thousand billion dollars. Still, I will never do this again. I don't care what I have to work out or around or pay. Red eyes are not for me. Because no matter the hour, I can't sleep on planes. Not a wink. Yet I didn't read or turn on the iPod because I felt like, however fruitless, I should at least be TRYING to sleep. So this trip consisted of me sitting there with my eyes closed, wishing the borderline fat man next to me wasn't taking over the armrest and invading my little pocket of space.
Or maybe I'm just bitter about once again leaving Oregon behind. Story of my life. Oregon is so fabulous. It doesn't snow, so unlike C-land, I wouldn't have to spend the next 2 months stressed about the combination of snowy roads and a commute if I lived in Oregon. No sales tax. Granted, I would more than pay for this in other taxes, but that's neither here nor there. People understand casual. The west just has a different feel. It doesn't mean one is in a constant state of grunge (I'll have you know I put on makeup every day except yesterday), although I did wear birkenstocks and LA pants almost every day. And Oregon is close to so much of my family. How I would love to be able to jet home for weekends here and there. It kills me a little that I can't. OK, it breaks my heart.
This Christmas included the usual caroling festivities weekend up in the Portland area (fortunately there was no ice storm this year...it was actually a balmy sixty degrees the night we caroled), followed by a relaxing week down south at the homestead. Both my brothers were home, which was a real treat. (Meeting you face to face is a real treat, a real treat). I hadn't seen E since last Christmas, which is pretty sad if you know how close we are. I hit up my jewelry store, the adorable bakery that is remarkably still in business, the new Mexican eatery in town (there's a new one each year because they all go out of business), Red Robin (a staple for our family), and attended the usual Christmas Eve party. Games, movies, and food were all in abundance throughout the week, and it was just nice to be together.
The least I could do to make myself feel better when I got to the airport last night was purchase a few Oregon ducks items...sweatshirt for me, decal for my car. We're in the Rose Bowl, baby, and I need to represent. I remembered that I lived in Ohio, and thought what fun it would be to be the single ducks fan in the whole state. Then I remembered that I lived in Ohio, and thought how miserable it will be to be the only ducks fan in the whole state. Seriously, Ohio State Buckeye fans are insane, and the most devoted I've ever met. My car will surely be horribly vandalized. Oh well. Go ducks!
2 comments:
its true living far from home is tough.
Also I know UT has a different feel than OR but (I think) they both have that western relaxed, room to stretch, naturally beautiful feel.
I also agree that red eyes are no bueno.
I caught my finger between my chair and desk while writing this. I swear I almost broke it. But I soldiered on...
Red Robin? A staple for our family?
I think I've eaten there, maybe, twice. Neither time was with the fam.
Post a Comment