Just thought I'd check in from my current corner of the world...my beloved pacific coast. While when I actually think about it, there are several people and situations at work who will fall apart a little in my absence (I don't have a backup...it's a bit of a problem), I'm pleased at how easy it is to not think about work at all. More than anything, I suppose this speaks to how much I needed this vacation.
In addition to the normal Christmas festivities here with the fam, last minute gift-getting, and snatching up anything I see that I want for myself (might as well take advantage of Oregon's tax-freeness...and yes, I did hit up the jewelry store), the most satisfying part of the holiday thus far has been reading a book. I haven't read a book since summer, and this on account of never having any time. I didn't have time in summer either, but the Penny a Page contest always motivates me to find time anyway. Well, that and the desire to step my skin up to the next least pasty white shade does draw me, book in hand, to the patio in summertime.
This week's book was 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.' I admit I couldn't be bothered with this book months ago when it was recommended to me. It sounded from the title like a variation on a Mrs. Pollifax theme, and, no offense to Angela Lansbury, I wasn't interested. But I opened the book on Monday and could not put it down. Literally. To the point where even putting it down to go to the bathroom was annoying, to the point where I'm sure I almost caught the house on fire by keeping my bedside lamp (which gets freakishly hot) on late into the night while I read. When a book has you that interested, you know it's good stuff.
It's a book comprised entirely of letters written to and from a certain handful of people. Genius idea! The story was still sufficiently told, and I still felt the characters were each gotten to know very well. The story centers around a writer, and she's funny. Not slapsticky, just witty in her words. The other characters cracked me up too with their eccentricities. The overall circumstances of the writer getting to know this certain group of people are not pleasant...in fact, the book deals with some depressingly heavy situations...but do not let that deter you. What a phenomenal book this is, and I highly recommend it. Even if it's not summertime.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
2 comments:
I'm SO glad you read it! I absolutely adored it. It was refreshing and quaint and lovely and every other pleasant word you can think up.
Happy Christmas, friend!
You should have listened to me when I recommended it. How you scoffed. Humph.
Post a Comment