While the gang was here for thanksgiving, my sister (who has recently decided to take on the art of sewing) had Mom show her how to make 'yo-yos' (little circles of fabric that bunch in the center). They almost look like small flowers. What I didn't realize is that while Mom and L were stitching away, they decided to affix a handful of yo-yos to various surfaces in my house. Yo-yo #1: Probably the hardest to spot yet the one I found first. There's a quilt hanging on the back of my couch, and the yo-yo had been sewn onto the middle of one of the hearts on the quilt. Yo-yo #2: Sewn onto the curtain of the kitchen window. Yo-yo #3: Sewn onto my gray stocking cap. I picked it up to wear it to dinner with a ridiculously charming boy on Saturday, and was so delighted to find this third and final yo-yo. Not only does it make the cap, but it reminds me of my family.
I feel like I'm running on emotion this week. As if I myself am a yo-yo of sorts, and it's a strange feeling for someone who usually has a pretty good handle on things. Everything's fine and then suddenly I remember something that's borderline crappy (albeit out of my control) and it seems like the end of the world. I know what you're thinking, but no. There's no biological reason for this to be happening. It's just a yo-yo week.
Exhibit A: The snow is coming, and I'm depressed about it. Obsessed with its impending arrival. One minute I'm on cloud nine because it isn't here yet, and the next minute I'm in a stupor of gloom because I've just looked at the 10-day forecast, nine days of which show snow. One minute I'm content because the sun came out and the sky boasted a rainbow, and the next I'm overwhelmed with thoughts of how awful commuting will be for the next 3 months of winter.
Exhibit B: I'm close to a certain aforementioned ridiculously charming boy. We're the best of friends, and somewhere in the middle of the past year, I've realized he and I might actually have a shot. And I kind of think we should take it. But I doubt I'll ever bring it up, as I would hate for him to think I've had ulterior motives throughout our friendship, because I absolutely have not. Whatever I'm feeling right now has happened both completely backwards and completely accidentally. Anyway, one minute I'm so happy and grateful even if I'm only ever just his friend, and the next I'm sad because I know I'll regret never telling him any of this. One minute I think I have every reason to believe he wants to give it a try too, and the next I realize I have absolutely no reason to believe any such thing.
Exhibit C: Something at work really pissed me off last week, and it's still bringing me down. I can't shake it. So one minute I'm excited about my IT meeting because it went fabulously and I actually understood and LIKED the database they made for me, and the next I remember last week's incident and work myself up about it. One minute I'm laughing hysterically on the phone while talking with my favorite sales rep, and the next I'm cursing my boss' name because I'm simply at my wit's end.
Disclaimer: I am not a crazy person. But clearly something's up this week. At least I have my quilt, my curtain, and my cap to lift my spirits. Well, that and the image of turning around to see Mom making strange hand motions and laughing secretively at the kitchen table and not having a clue what she and L were up to.
Camping at Pine Flats July 2025
10 months ago
2 comments:
But what about the donuts?
Don't even worry about it bones. Everyone wants to be like the yo-yo man.
Man, I wish I had someone come and leave me little gifts around my house. And don't judge, but I had to look up what a yo-yo was (in sewing terms, that is).
Miss you friend.
Post a Comment