Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dry-cleaning dilemma

So many people at my office use my dry-cleaner that they actually pick up and deliver directly from the office. Not a big deal, but it feels like luxury. There's a certain room on the first floor where we deposit our clothes on a clothing rack, and we come back to this same room to pick them up, where they will be hanging in the closet. I take great comfort in this process. That it always works. That I don't have to expend any effort. That the clothes will be cleaned and pressed and hanging neatly for me to pick up exactly three days after I leave them.

This same sense of satisfaction fills me when I think about any process that happens without me actually seeing it. Like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid and seeing all the presents. It wasn't that Santa amazed me, because I never actually believed in Santa...on account of me asking my mom as a tot to tell me the truth about whether he were real. She said no. And that was that. Rather the amazement came because the presents just appeared, and I always wondered where Mom and Dad had been hiding them.

I deposited some clothes to be dry-cleaned week before last. When I went to pick them up on Monday, I froze when I walked in the designated room, because there my clothes were. Still hanging on the rack. And just like that, my faith in the whole seamless process was destroyed. The illusion shattered. I think I felt more disappointed about this than I did about the Santa incident. I talked to the lady at the front desk, figuring if anyone kept tabs on changes in our dry-cleaner's pickup processes it would be her, and she assured me nothing had changed and that they would pick the clothes up tomorrow, return them on Friday. So yesterday when the big day came, I waited until 5 pm, and headed downstairs once again. Yep, you guessed it. The clothes are still there. Not cleaned. At this point I have no idea what I need to do to get my clothes picked up. And I'm sure if there WERE a Santa, he'd be more on top of things.

No comments: